Rebooting the blog and most of me

So I thought I'd finished with this blog but the universe seems to have conspired to line up events in such a way that I couldn't help but to write about it . . . . 

October 2016
I'm in Caen, France, after spending 4 glorious days in Paris seeing the sites and eating some great food. Caen is a wonderful small town where I wander with my friends, enjoy the history that I am there to learn and reveal in the experience of travel. Early one morning I awaken to missed calls and texts messages. My Dad is fatally ill. Can you come home?

36 hours later via trains and planes, some sleep, much wine, I am down in Mandurah  sitting with Dad, listening to him breathe gently and then finally, with a slight dramatic flourish, dying. The usual chaos follows - family, funerals, fights, and then suddenly . . . . its back to work. 


February 2017
I'm exhausted. In such a way that I have never experienced. The summer slipped by in weariness, books and not much else.

A good Psychologist friend tells me its Dorsal Shutdown (which I will explore later) with a good dose of Anxiety (which I will also explore!) - but its not really grief. It's how I have learnt to negotiate my life for many years - and how unsustainable that has become - and in the face of my father passing, not bring able to do the usual coping things anymore. I am getting great support from her and my GP, who is an amazing diagnosticain but has now proved to be very pastoral too, is on side offering support from both the medicinal and talking points of view.  

So in the interests of exploration, thats whats up - exploring this unexpected avenue in life mainly for myself and the people I love. Because like all journeys taken alone, you still need the love of others to see you through.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

rite ritual catholicism and doing lenten penance

december heart

Mad Men 101