role into the eighties a

yeah well
the eighties
you sorta had to be there I guess
don't wanna dwell too much on school
it was there
so was i
got beat up a bit
usually 'cos i was a muso and not a sporty dude
sang in a genuine working church choir
learnt my trade there
taught my ears to work
to hear inside the sounds
to sing harmony
to love the purity of early music n chant
yeah it was a good footing
but also i learnt the faith through singing these ancient words
of motets n masses n magnificats
the eighties for seemed to be a schizophrenic moment
between the classical music world of my school life
choir n clarinet 
n my discovery of the rock world just beginning to come into bloom
it is still taking years for me to try n
bring these two into some sort of harmony
or maybe realize I don't need to 
they can feed each other without
me having to perform some sort of symbiotic dance
anyway
i woke up singing shout to the top one morning
and that was it
went out and bought the style councils cafe bleu that morning
which to reading some paul weller interviews
as if they were the bible itself
(i remember a girlfriend once asking me if all the linear notes
actually mattered . . . 
e i was mortally wounded!)
anyway
obsessed might be an understatement...

there was so much souly jazz stuff
n i was diggin' it all
sade
sting and those unbelievable jazz musicians
british band working week
prefab sprout
some cool post-mod stuff too
the house martens were a fave
started a bit of politics in me too
anyway
i borrowed an old guitar from school over a holiday
and strummed my way into the future
wrote bad songs based on only e minor and d
school ended 
thank god
went to uni
more music
but that freends
is a tale
for another day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

rite ritual catholicism and doing lenten penance

december heart

Mad Men 101