New year noo ear nu

Not sure if I should be writing this here,
but no where else to put it!

A mate and I joked last night
that our nu ears resolution was
to have no New Years resolutions
But I have a couple of things I want to take up
and a couple of things I want to leave behind.
I want to live life with more rigour
more intensity
physical stuff
intellectual stuff
spiritual stuff
I feel like I was a bit soft this year . . .
being a bit unhappy at my old job
n then taking up a new one
means spending a lot of time
thinking
planning
being a bit low
etc etc etc
this also means passions
like cooking n prayer n cricket n music n stuff
disappear like puffs of smoke
but not this year.
I want that stuff back...

I want to immerse myself more
in catholic tradition
i am tired of trying to live in two worlds
i'm really tired of fresh expressions of church
of emerging stuff too
of streets which are interesting
but seem to be leading me (not everyone) nowhere
I need to leave well enough alone sometimes...

I'm tired of having to explain myself
defend and explain positions
I want to read more
of the intellectual catholic tradition
make the liturgy of the hours
my source of divine contact
explore a catholic world view . . .
don't get me wrong
i'm not going to ghetto myself here
still want dialogue n sharing n ecuminism
but i want
more immersion
more depth
more broadness
more rootedness

which leads me back to passion and rigour

these seem to be what I need for 08.
And you?

Comments

Bryan said…
Great stuff Chris. I relate to a lot of what you've written. 2007 was a killer year for me....hardest I remember in a LONG time. Angst, depression, anxiety, all that fun stuff. I'm hoping 2008 is a year of hope, renewal and life.

Peace.

Popular posts from this blog

rite ritual catholicism and doing lenten penance

december heart

Mad Men 101