priests bishops england and pain

This is not a poem. 
Nor a meme. 
Not even a reflection or a meditation. 
This is me working out how a 500 year old church can cause such pain to many of its members in one foul swoop. 

Got an Idea what I am talking about?

On Monday 7th July the General Synod of the Church of England voted to allow the ordination of Women to the episcopate. You can read about it here -  a very neutral report. Whilst this action would have caused traditionalists at both ends of the anglocatholic/evangelical scale pain, the matter appears to have been exacerbated by the synods decision to only enforce a code of practice about how to deal with those opposed to womens ordination rather than create guaranteed episcopal care. A few anglo-catholic blogs (my heritage) have reflected upon this here, here and here. (You'll have to search around the first two a bit as there aren't permalinks in operation - but look for 7/8 July and you'll find them.)

My big problem with all of this is not really theological. Whilst I am sort of undecided about the whole women's ordination thing, I am faithful to my churches discipline of it, and can see both sides of the argument. My sadness comes from the fact that this decision will force some people out of the church because they simply cannot stay in the face of a synods decision. What sort of church is that, which was once known for its inclusiveness and ability to holds many perspectives of the faith in tension, simply casts off members in one decision?

My heart for unity suffers too because now any chance of the seemingly promising Anglican / Catholic reunion seems impossible, as does any serious Orthodox consultancy. 

The Anglo-catholic tradition, which nurtured and grew me has come finally to an end.
Even though it is no longer my faith expression, I feel for the pain of the faithful thousands whose lives have now being thrown into disarray and dismay. 

Should Justice, as many have called it, involved such pain for people of good heart and faith?

Pray for them all. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

rite ritual catholicism and doing lenten penance

december heart

Mad Men 101