childhood dreaming

rolling
tumbling
bubbling
crashing waves pulling me under
spiraling out of control
breath expelled
heart pounding
hands reaching down
under
desperately grabbing
searching
pulling me upwards
towards light
towards air
i had been playing cricket
on holidays in a remote country town
chasing the ball
towards the river bank
which dropped off suddenly
and so did i
dropping into the brown flowing water
my young body
unsure of the current
flailed and railed against it
its energy supplies soon exhausted
i was fighting upwards
i can't remember if i even had the ball
i do remember being plucked out
n laid on the grass
panting
a friends dad had removed me from my
imminent watery grave
jack was his name
many years later i sought him for some advice on prayer ...
this memory stayed with me for years
surfaced in my dreams
from time to time
today i was reflecting that i hadn't had it for a while
perhaps parental tiredness
perhaps i remember my dreams less now
perhaps the memory is healed
perhaps i have learnt the lesson
n no longer need to experience it
whatever has happened
given todays experiences -
a bit of discord
a bit on connection
a bit of space
a bit of stress -
i wonder why
i thought of it at all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

rite ritual catholicism and doing lenten penance

december heart

Mad Men 101