Classics and me and you

The funny thing about rapidly approaching 40 is that things appear to be becoming more urgent, more important, less important etc.

Anyway, I find my self enrolled to study classics here. Not only do they have an excellent traditional classics program (Ancient Greek and Roman History along with Latin and Greek language and textual studies) but they can deliver the whole course in external mode with excellent on-line support. Which of course, suits someone on the other side of the country who has a busy job and a young family. 

This has been something that has been in the back of my mind since I was about 16. Many of the people I respect and value for their intellectual and spiritual contribution to life in general - C S Lewis, J R R Tolkein, Thomas Merton, the Oxford Movement Fathers  - had this training in their background. Not only did it create a context for their faith , it also taught them how to think, reason, and debate.

Part of the discipline, in fact most of it, is reading and writing. I am hoping to restore this blog again as a tool in that process - using it to not only to improve my writing ability, but also to allow reflective work on the set readings, intersecting with my faith and artistic selves.

So keep posted, keep me honest and doing it and lets see where we end up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

rite ritual catholicism and doing lenten penance

december heart

Mad Men 101