after the day

day ends
light fades
children grab bags
n head for the hills
lonely sullen teachers
gaze silently at their desks
sigh heavily
leave quickly
a meeting fortuitously abandoned
rain has fallen effortlessly as the children leave
its timing impeccable
but now falls harder as others
the seniors
run for their vehicles
whether running early or late
no one is sure
dark sinister clouds are gathering
in the west
deep in the roaring forties
wind n rain
n mood shifts
imminent
i pack my things
my children
my leaky bag
my book on grief
my dreams
into the red chariot
the children
fidget n moan
wave at friends still waiting for collection
half discuss their day
half fight
n half tell me things
which is pretty cool
since that's 1 1/2

they wonder what will happen next

we drive through the end of day streets
their dialogue an aural wallpaper
to my concentrated nothingness

we could drive like this for ever

but coffee calls
as ever
and as always
we arrive
home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

rite ritual catholicism and doing lenten penance

december heart

Mad Men 101